Newsletter

Sign up for our newsletter for exclusive sales and events! http://eepurl.com/c2rOxn

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Working with a Farmers Market

I have been fortunate enough to work with a Farmers Market since the very begining of Delta Moon Soapworks. The "Distribution Channel" (how your customers will get your product) is about as important as the product itself! I have worked with several associations in the past 13 years, namely Pacific Coast Farmers Market Assn (www.pcfma.com), Contra Costa Farmers Market Assn ( www.cccfm.org ) , Urban Village ( www.urbanvillageonline.com ) and Marin Farmers Market (www.agriculturalinstiture.org ). You will find that each of them offer something unique, they will each have their own policies, some accept Artisans, others do not. A certfied Farmers Market means that the produce is grown here in California and there are guidelines that must be followed in order to maintain the certification. I enjoy being part of an organization that works so hard to educate the public about where it's food comes from, and also offers programs about how to use the food they buy, Cookin the Market is one such program, I can't cook (whatever I try to cook tastes like soap! )but I always come away having learned something. Farmers Markets are a very vital part of the community. Whichever Association you work with, do read the by-laws and rules, it's so much easier for everyone involved when we're all on the same page! As a small business, I find the athmostphere of the Market to be amazing, I have learned so much along the way and the other vendors/producers were an invaluable resource. I joke thet we're just a roving band of gypsies, we all participate in Markets sort of all over, but we've become a family of sorts too. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you. Next post will be about some things you should consider about your tent and other things that will make life easier for you as a Farmers Market Vendor!

No comments:

Post a Comment